Re: eCos + RedBoot Problems!

"Chris C." wrote:

> Jifl
>
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I have loaded the redboot to the target board. Now, I want to build my
> own testing program and then run it on redboot, but I got some error
> messages from arm-elf-gcc:
> >>

> //E/Gary/Program/eCos/tmp/eCos/new_redboot_install/lib/libtarget.a(redboot_m
> ain.o): In function
> >> `do_go':
> >> //D/ecoscvs/ecos/packages/redboot/current/src/main.c:475: undefined
> reference to
> >> `RedBoot_version'
> >> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> >>
> >> How to solve it?
> >>
> >> Also, I selected some templates like kernel, minimal... and then built
> them but I didn't find any bin file in bin directory. How to build them and
> then run them on the target board (the target board have redboot on it)
>
> >You are still building redboot. Do not choose the redboot >template if you
> >want to bulid tests. Also when you choose a different template, >I would
> >recommend using a new empty build directory.
>
> I am not clear about what you said, here are some questions I am not sure:
>
> 1. My target board [AT91/EB40] have redboot only. Can I build a application
> and then run it on the target board?
> Which file formats can I load them to the target board via redboot[hyper
> terminal]? .bin / .elf/ .img / .srec / .out

The best thing is to use GDB on the ELF executables.

> 2. As you said, if I want to build tests, I need to use a new empty build
> directory and then select other template [not redboot]. Do I need to switch
> the redboot to GDB mode [type # at the redboot command prompt] before I run
> those tests using config. tool?

No, when GDB connects, RedBoot will switch mode automatically.

> 3. I found that there are only 3 templates [cygmon, stub, redboot] in the
> config. tool can generate the image files in the bin directory. All of the
> other templates just have the include and lib in the untitled_install
> directory.

If you just use the default template, then if you choose build->tests from
the graphical configuration tool, or type "make tests" if you are using the
command line, then you will also get a "tests" subdirectory underneath
untitled_install.