Advice for student project

I have a couple of student interns assigned to work on porting our
Java((TM)-compatible) VM to eCos.  (It's being done as a student
project because that's the only way I could get the manpower: no
one here seems to regard eCos as a ``strategic'' platform).

I don't want them to get bogged down in getting eCos to run in the
first place, and we have only limited eCos expertise in-house
(hi Jeroen), so I'd like them to work on well-supported platforms.
My idea was to start with the linux synthetic target, and move
on from that to the iPAQ.  Does that sound like a good plan, or
does anyone have another kewl pocket-sized device to recommend?

And before anyone asks: the VM in question is scheduled to be
released under a BSD-ish licence later this month.

Regards

Chris Gray

VM Architect, ACUNIA