RE: Hardware Watchdog

On 26-Jul-2001 Doug Fraser wrote:
> Interrupts may not be enabled in redboot, but
> does that stop him from installing his own
> tick handler and servicing the watchdog from there?
> The maximum time on the 860 watchdog is around
> three seconds with a 50Mhz CPU clock.
> As Christoph mentioned, the watchdog activates
> a hard reset cycle, and there is nothing you can
> do to catch it. The other problem is that if you
> disable the watchdog, you cannot reenable it
> without performing a hard reset.

So the idea is that you need some piece of code telling
the watchdog "I'm alive", correct?  Surely this can be
done without all of the baggage of handling interrupts.

> As well as servicing it with a tick interrupt
> during redboot, you could also disable it if
> the redboot polling mechanism detects a GDB
> connect. You probably want the watchdog off
> during debugging anyway, so that would allow the
> target to boot with a watchdog in a normal run
> state, yet reduce the complexity of having to
> service it during a debug session.

I don't see how you can handle interrupts without enabling then.
Once they are enabled, then other interrupt conditions might need
to be serviced, etc.

I think it much better/wiser to figure out where it might be "looping"
and put in stuff to tickle the watchdog appropriately.