RE: breakpoint () support locking app

On 11-Jul-2001 Trenton D. Adams wrote:
>   >
>   > As I expected.  Sorry, but this can't work because as soon
>   > as the target application tries to run, the GDB debug
>   > channel will break.  In fact, if you have a 'minicom'
>   > session open to the board, you'll probably see GDB come up there.
>   >
>   > Network debugging is only supported using RedBoot - it
>   > cannot be done with builtin stubs (when stubs are included
>   > in the application).
>   >

> Ok, I thought that might be the case because when I opened the com port
> while trying to connect through the network it gave me a bunch of
> garbage.
>
> So, will the GDB stub watch on port 9000 too if I was to start it on
> it's own?

No - you'd need the whole network stack included with the application.
Once you have GDB stubs in your application, they take over the GDB debug
operation.  Since our stubs only know how to handle serial, unless they
are extended via RedBoot, you'd pretty much be stuck here.

It would be possible to build a stand-alone application which supports
GDB debugging via the network.  However, you'd pretty much end up with
everything from RedBoot (you'd need the RedBoot network stack, not the
generic TCP/IP stack from eCos) tucked into your application.

... probably not what you really wanted.