Re: SMSC LAN91CXX driver

Jordi Colomer <jco@ict.es> writes:
> > I believe it may not work on an assabet anyway.  The assabet is rather
> > untested IME; after our customer asked Intel enough times they admitted
> > that the ethernet device isn't tested and is not actually connected up
> > correctly.  (IIRC - this from memory, disclaimers apply... could be only
> > early versions of assabet that are not good - or it could be that address
> > wiring "feature" that stopped us! ;-> )
>
> I see. Just for test, I have changed the addressing and it works. Now I'm
> thinking how to do it in the least intrusive way.

Interesting.  Probably was the addressing issue then that stopped our
initial investigations.  Oh well...  A patch would be welcome, of course!

> > Changing the type of "base" in struct lan91cxx_priv_data {} to "unsigned
> > long *" would probably do it!  Use a #define that your .inl file can set to
> > tell it to use long addressing instead of short.
>
> Changing the pointer type wouldn't be enough because the SMC (in my
> platform) is hardwired to 16-bit mode, so the chip ignores A0 (which is
> A2 in SA1110).  This makes a total 3-bit shift. Anyway, your solution
> would be ok for Assabet since the chip is hardwired to 8-bit mode. This
> is how the linux driver works.

Right, so there are two independent factors operating there.  Confusing.

> In my platform (and Assabet), the chip is in PCMCIA mode so additional
> actions must be done : reset and enable on ECOR and ECSR registers.
> The driver doesn't do this at present, probably I will add this but
> controlled by a new config variable.

That's the way to do it, so long as these are regs in the lan91c96 rather
than in the SA1110.

Anyway, this is all good stuff; please keep in touch with the list with how
you get on, let us know what you come up with for neatly dealing with those
address issues, and we'll gladly adopt your mods into our source tree and
put your name in lights in the ChangeLog!

Thanks,
	- Huge