Re: RedBoot

Anthony Massa wrote:

> >> I have a DHCP server on my net.  However, my confusion comes
> >with the fact
> >> that I have RedBoot coming up using BOOTP, which I have a
> >server for as
> >> well.  So, RedBoot gets its IP address.  Is this address
> >then passed onto
> >> the application, or is the application layer supposed to get
> >its own, new
> >> address?
> >>
> >> I'm a little confused about how the RedBoot and eCos app
> >layer stack coexist
> >> on my target.  I am using the RedBoot Ethernet for debugging the
> >> application.
> >
> >They each get their own addresses. Or one can be static and the other
> >dynamic, or whatever you want. Think of them as completely separate.
>
> Is there a message that is output when the DHCP client gets its address?

Go into the TCP/IP configuration and enable
CYGHWR_NET_DRIVER_ETH0_BOOTP_SHOW, assuming it's eth0. Then rebuild.

> If so, my hang problem is occurring before the address is received by the
> application.  It's odd that it outputs the debug string over the serial port
> when the whole time it has been using the Remote/TCP connection for
> debugging.

Have you enabled any funny options in this area, such as
CYGSEM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_INIT_WHOLE_TABLE or
CYGSEM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_CLAIM_COMMS ?

If you export a minimal configuration file (Under File in the configuration
tool, or "ecosconfig export" on the command line) you can see what options
are non-default.

Note: in the default configuration, it should work. Demonstrably so on
other targets.

> When I don't set breakpoints the same thing happens.

Ah.

> >Also try enabling remote protocol debugging in GDB using "set remotedebug
> >1" (or in newer versions, "set debug remote 1").
>
> Doesn't this get set when I use Insight, hit Run and a dialog comes up and I
> set Remote/TCP with the IP address and port?  Do you mean to explicitly do
> this after I open the application using the console?

I meant in the console. But it sounds like you definitely wouldn't receive
anything anyway if you are still seeing $T packets on the serial port.
You're right that you shouldn't see anything on the serial port. In which
case something in your application or your configuration is causing it to
get set to the serial port.