Re: Memory Layout

On 20-Apr-2001 james chen wrote:
> Hi, Thomas:
>>
>> Question: if you are building a custom board and shipping a bundled
> application
>> with it, why would you _not_ want RedBoot, even in the final product?
>>
>      First, I don't know whether it will cost down the performance or not.

None.

>      Second, it will require extra flash memory to hold it.

There would be this cost, but IMO it's minor, especially when weighed against
the flexibility and features which are available.  Things like:
  * Ability to debug code in the field (things _do_ break)
  * Ability to update code in FLASH - RedBoot, applications, etc
  * If your target has networking hardware, ability to connect via network
    to the debug/bootstrap environment.
  * Flexible & extensible control over the boot-time behaviour
  * Support for POST and BIST

>      Third, I want to replace redboot with my hardware check code in final
> product. when power on, it will run code to check hardware, if the hardware
> is all OK, then load eCos to RAM from flash memory and run eCos
> automatically. it seems RedBoot doesn't support it.

This mode of operation is fully supported by RedBoot and already in place on
a number of targets.