Re: Porting on TMS320VC5472, eCos or uLinux ?

Michael Stilmant wrote:

> Hello
>
> Following an mail sended last week but not answer, but it's certainly
> because no port yet.
>
> No problem with this. But actually I have an other fundamental question is
> eCos correct chose for my need or uClinux is a better choice. I read some
> where eCos include uClinux

If you know where it would be good because we keep hearing things like
that, and we would like to correct them.

>, but on RedHat site they keep a distinction
> between them.

eCos is unrelated to Linux. The only link between them is the EL/IX
compatibility levels (http://sources.redhat.com/elix/ ) to allow *API*
level compatiblity between full-blown Linux and smaller operating systems,
e.g. eCos, uClinux, etc. by subsetting the API.

> And finaaly I have this big question : What is the difference, which OS I
> could better use ?
>
> Is somebody have some answers to this ?

It very much depends on the application you want to use. ucLinux is closer
to the Linux API, although a lot of that depends on the C library used.
eCos is more flexible, and configurable and has the potential to be much
smaller. There's probably more device driver support for ucLinux than is in
eCos. I'm not a uclinux expert though :-).