RE: Assabet lock-up after 30 seconds

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Gary Thomas wrote:

> What version of Assabet do you have?
> Do you think this is endemic to the SA-1110 (possibly revision sensitive)?

The lock-up appears to happen on both Rev 2 and Rev 4 Assabet boards. It
will be Assabet specific, rather than SA-1110 specific, because it's the
specific RS232 driver chip (MAX3244) on Assabet causing the problem.

> I ask because I've had the same Assabet on my desk turned on running RedBoot
> for literally *months* and it's always responsive when I get back to it.

The following program demonstrates the problem for me:
------------------------BITE-HERE---------------------------------
#include <pkgconf/system.h>
#include <cyg/kernel/kapi.h>
#include <cyg/infra/diag.h>

cyg_thread it;
cyg_handle_t handle;
char stack[4096];

void thread_main( cyg_addrword_t data ) {
    int delay;
    for ( delay = 28 ; delay < 33 ; delay++ ) {
	diag_printf( "About to delay for %d seconds\n", delay );
	cyg_thread_delay(delay * 100);
    }
    diag_printf("All delays done. Did you see them all???\n");
}

void cyg_user_start(void) {
    cyg_thread_create( 5, thread_main, 0, "TimeoutTest",
	    (void*)stack, sizeof(stack), &handle, &it );
    cyg_thread_resume( handle );
}
------------------------BITE-HERE----------------------------------

On the boards I've used, the above program prints:
About to delay for 28 seconds
About to delay for 29 seconds
About to delay for 30 seconds
... and then no further response until I press the STOP button in GDB.

As you say, RedBoot does not appear to be affected, at least in terms of
hitting return to get the RedBoot prompt. I have no explanation for this.

--
Richard Panton              Systems Architect          3G Lab Ltd.
richard.panton@3glab.com    http://www.3glab.org/