Re: Which packages are needed for networking?

    Lewin> I'm a bit confused; somehow I've managed to break something
    Lewin> that was previously working. I am trying to compile a
    Lewin> simple network test app (with code borrowed from
    Lewin> ftp_test.c) for the EDB7xxx platform. I previously managed
    Lewin> to build OK, but something - NO idea what! - has broken; I
    Lewin> haven't changed my build process that I can remember.

    Lewin> Could someone read over the below and tell me what I'm
    Lewin> doing wrong? Looks like a package needs to be added
    Lewin> (probably something to do with filesystems?), but it _used_
    Lewin> to work and I didn't add any other packages.

    Lewin> Using CVS sources a week old,

    Lewin> ecosconfig new edb7xxx
    Lewin> ecosconfig add eth_drivers net

You should be able to just do "ecosconfig new edb7xxx net" to combine
the above two steps, but that is not the problem here.

    Lewin> ecosconfig tree
    Lewin> make

    Lewin> then into my app's directory and make 2>&1 | tee make.out

    Lewin> arm-elf-gcc -c -o main.o -g -I. -I../ecos/install/include
    Lewin> -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mcpu=arm7tdmi -DDF57 main.c
    Lewin> In file included from ../ecos/install/include/network.h:63,
    Lewin>                  from main.c:14:
    Lewin> ../ecos/install/include/sys/param.h:120:28: sys/simplelock.h: No such
    Lewin> file or directory

OK, let's take a look at sys/param.h at ~line 120 to see what the
problem might be:

  #ifndef __ECOS
  #include <sys/simplelock.h>
  #endif

And quoting from the TCP/IP documentation at
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/tcpip/tcpip.3.html#pgfId=1133601

"In general, using the networking code may require definition of two
symbols: _KERNEL and __ECOS. _KERNEL is not normally required; __ECOS
is normally required. So add this to your compile lines for files
which use the network stack:

          -D__ECOS"

so that should solve the problem.

    <snip>

    Lewin> On a related note, is there a concise list of packages
    Lewin> somewhere, other than browsing through the cdl files?
    Lewin> (That's why I love the graphical config tool; it shows me
    Lewin> everything :)

  $ ecosconfig --help
  Usage: ecosconfig [ qualifier ... ] [ command ]
    commands are:
      list                                       : list repository contents
  <snip>

That is as concise as it is going to get for now, given the number of
packages and targets in the current system. Alternatively you can look
at the ecos.db file in any text editor, since that is where the
information comes from.

Bart