problems building ecos on arm pid

hi guys,
               we unset the GCC_EXEC_PREFIX variable in our environment and
also tried out this
 echo 'int x;'> foo.c
 arm-elf-gcc -v -c foo.c
   the message we got was cpp:installation problem,cannot exec 'cpp':arguement
list too long.
  but we have followed the steps provided by the redhat site for building and
installing the cross compiler, but still are not able to compile the sources.
   please let us know where we are faltering as development work is not
progressing here at all due to this.we would be greatful if u could shed some
light on this.
  please reply soon.
                Thanks a lot.
                                                          regards