Help building gcc for ARM under Cygwin?

Hi all!

I'm currently porting a PA-RISC design to ARM7T (Cirrus EP7212) with the
intention of using eCOS. I can build the toolchain OK under Linux, but for
several reasons it is not desirable for me to have to use Linux as my
development platform (among those reasons, I want to use the eCOS graphical
config tool).

Under cygwin, I can't build gcc using either the 2.95.2 (with patches) or
the 20001101 source. Is it even possible?? I'm following the instructions
in the eCOS install pages to the letter.

Using 2.95.2 source with the relevant patch, when I try to configure gcc I
get [several pages skipped] then:
checking if mkdir takes one argument... no
Configuration thumb-unknown-elf not supported
Configure in /tmp/build/gcc/gcc failed, exiting.

If I try to build a generic arm-elf target, I get the same kind of error,
with "arm-unknown-elf not supported".

Using the latest 20001101 versions of gcc-core and gcc-g++, (a) I can't
apply the 2.95.2 patches, and (b) I get a message that the thumb-elf target
is deprecated, and that I should use -mthumb. Unfortunately, the build
process for the regular arm-elf fails in the link phase, there are a few
__imp* functions missing.

This is using the latest 1.1.4 Cygwin.

Help! :(

Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Got any Commodore 16 or VIC-20 hardware, cartridges, tapes?
Visit http://www.larwe.com/vintage/
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/