Re: Difference between CTRLC & BREAK support on GDB stubs

Rosimildo daSilva wrote:

> Could anyone explain the difference between CTRLC and BREAK support
> in the GDB stubs ?

What is termed "CTRLC" is for when there are no GDB stubs included in your
application (and I mean the app here, not the ROM). The term "BREAK" is
used when GDB stubs are included in your app. CTRLC support is the default
on most targets.

> I have been assigned to do this for a MIPS target, and I've noticed that
> none of the MIPS based targets in Ecos 1.3.1, have "BREAK" support.
> Any special reason for that ?.

Yes, for the MIPS HAL, CTRLC and BREAK support is shared - there are not
separate implementations. Look at the CDL option
CYGDBG_HAL_MIPS_DEBUG_GDB_CTRLC_SUPPORT in
hal/mips/arch/VERSION/cdl/hal_mips.cdl.

There used to be a bigger difference in how the two forms are implemented,
but there's very little distinction now in general.

> I am looking at one of the "ARM" targets and I'll be copying the code to my
> target, except for the specific serial port initialization. Any potential
> problem that I am overlooking ?

The ARM HAL and the MIPS HAL are very different in design. I'm not sure
that copying ARM platform HAL code over to a MIPS platform HAL is the right
way to approach this.

For new work, you may want to consider using anonymous CVS - the virtual
vector support is very relevant to this area of HALs (ctrl-c etc.), but is
only present in anon CVS.