Re: serial communication with i386 ( modified )

"pradeep patel" <pradeeppatel@indiatimes.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I made an eCos boot floppy for i386 PC target. I could successfully
> boot the pentium PC using this boot floppy. It shows some characters
> on monitor after booting.  Then i tried to connect my host which
> also pentium PC with Windows NT. I tried with serial port
> COM1. Initially i got an error " cannot connect to target " but then
> i could solve that problem.
> Now i am getting an following display:
>
> Remote debugging COM1
> 0x3be0 in crc32 ( ptr=0x0, len=0, crc=0 )
>  at //c/progra~1/Redhat~1/eCos/packages/hal/common/v1_3_1/src/generic_stub.c :
>
> 1580 __mem_fault=0;
>
> can you help me to solve this problem? What is problem with generic_stub.c file ?
>
> I tried shifting __mem_fault=0; one line upward i.e line 1580 in generic_stub.c to be blank.
> But still it is showing me error at line 1580 and it doesn't display __mem_fault=0;

What exception are you getting? What program are you running?  Check
that you are buiding the application for RAM startup rather than
ROM. Try some of the test program to see if these work correctly.

GDB does not always get the exact line number correct, especially in
optimized code where instructions have been rescheduled. Take a look
instead at the actual assembly code and register contents to see what
is really going wrong.

--
Nick Garnett, eCos Kernel Architect
Red Hat, Cambridge, UK