Re: Notes on static configuration of an eCos network interface

At 2000-07-17 13:59:42+0000, Bart Veer writes:
> I am not qualified to answer most of these points, but:

>     Nick> Notes on static configuration of an eCos network interface
>
>     <snip>
>     Nick> 5.4. multiple static routes
>
>     Nick> The config tool, build_bootp_record() and init_net() should
>     Nick> be extended to allow the specification of multiple static
>     Nick> routes, through TAG_IP_STATIC_ROUTES.
>
> The current implementation of CDL does not allow for multiple
> instantiations of something, e.g. you cannot have a configuration
> option that says I want n routes, and then configuration options
> are created on the fly to support the new routes (or existing
> configuration options are removed).
>
> Instead you could have an upper bound on the number of such routes and
> have the appropriate number of config options. Or you could put
> multiple routes into one configuration value, although extracting all
> the information at compile-time can then prove tricky. Alternatively
> the configury would support only the most common situation of a single
> route, with an opt-out to defer the whole thing to application code.
> I am not sure which of these approaches would be most appropriate in
> this case.

Either way.  This isn't very important to me.

Another option would be to have a single string option for additional
static routes, which is then parsed in network_support.c.

It's an interesting problem.  As other writers have pointed out,
there's a case for taking this out of the kernel configuration
altogether.  For my project I'm now intending to use the ioctl()s
directly, and never call init_all_network_interfaces().

Nick B

--
FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE: up 16 days, 18:42
last reboot Sat Jul 1 19:26 (lightning strike)