Re: How to test the serial connection with HyperTerminal in NECVRC4373

Ling Su wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working with the NEC MIPS-VR4373 board, after I got the new released
> GNUPro toolkit.

Which toolkit version is it? If you type "mips64vr4300-elf-gcc -v" what
does it output?

If you've bought the product, did it include support? If so, it may be
better contacting them as this e-mail list is completely unofficial.

> The first thing bothers me is how to check the serial
> connection. As you may know, in the manual, it says that you can use
> Hyperterminal to connect the board by serial J1. I tried in Windows NT
> platform, unfornately, there is no any prompt appearing! Since the serial is
> the critical path to download and debug code, and execpt the short
> decsription in "GNUPro Toolkit User's Guide for NEC VR4xxx", I can not find
> any other helpful document.
>
> Could any one drop me some suggestion? Thanks a lot!

Have you programmed the board with a new boot ROM? I believe the boards
from NEC come with PMON as the boot ROM, but if you want to have debugging
support you will need to program a GDB stub boot ROM. You may want to read
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos/docs-1.3.1/tutorials/vr4300/ecos-tutorial.d.html#pgfId=2404264