building library under windows NT.

Hi!
I'm new to eCOS and I tried to build the library under
Windows NT and I get compilation errors. First, the
compiler i686...-gcc for linux is not available under
windows. I only have i586-cygwin32-gcc.
How do I avoid the compilation errors?
A second question is regarding to eCOS itself. Is it
useful for systems programming? That is, building a
general purpose OS using eCOS?
If you do know how to help me with my queries, I would
appreciate.
Regards,
Fidel.