How to create a new platform?

I'm currently using the ARM-PID platform to build eCos for
custom target hardware, but this requires that I modify by hand
a bunch of files like target.ld, hal_platform_setup.h,
hal_platform_ints.h, pid_misc.c, hal_diag.c, etc.

This is a pain, since some of these files sometimes get
overwritten when I do a "make", and then I have to fix them
again.

I've been looking for documentation on how to create a new
platform so that my customized files don't get blown away by
the make process.  So far I haven't found anything.  Can
anybody lend me a clue?

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com