Re: ecos toolchain

Roman wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.
> I built an 'arm-elf-' toolchain, based of binutils 2.0.19a and egcs
> 1.1.2. If i want to build the ecos system, the i got the same errors
> like my 'arm-linux' toolchain. There were errors by using the compiler
> -fdata_sections
> -fvtable-gc
> -finit-priority.

If your compiler is not new enough to support -finit-priority, then it can't
support eCos. Those versions of binutils and egcs are definitely too old.

> At next i wanted to try out the prebuild i386 system by using the
> debugger gdb. It tells me, that this file is not an executible.

That would not surprise me!

> Now my qustions?
> 1. Have i to use the ecos compilers, or it is possible to generate my
> own one?

You could use the toolchain provided at http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos/
Or alternatively, you could use a gcc-2.95.2 and a recent binutils snapshot.
Go to http://gcc.gnu.org/ and http://sourceware.cygnus.com/binutils/ for
those. Similarly get GDB from http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gdb/

But for now I recommend you get the large toolchain sources we have put up
on the eCos web site.

I should be clear on something - you cannot build ecos with a toolchain
configured for "arm-linux" - it must be "arm-elf" even though both of them
produce ELF executables. There are various technical behind-the-scenes
reasons for that.

> 2. Is it possible for me to build and check a i386 ecos system? And if,
> please let me know how?

Again the easiest way is to follow the instructions on the eCos website.

> 3. I hearded about a cd rom, which contains all necessary toolchains for
> building ecos. I think for 20 USD or something in this direction. Is
> this right?

You are thinking of the sourceware.cygnus.com CDROM. It is a snapshot of the
*sources* on sourceware.cygnus.com. It may be more convenient for you than
downloading from the web site. Go to http://www.cygnus.com/sourcewarecd/ for
more details.

> 4. A general question about ecos. It is possible to load applications
> after ecos has started? Or must i compile my application together with
> the ecos system?

You must compile your application together with eCos.

> 5. Do i really need a special toolchain for use with eCos?

No. But it may be easier to take the one off the eCos web site, until you
are more familiar with eCos and the tools.

Red Hat, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK. CB2 1NS   Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"I used to have an open mind but || Get yer free open source RTOS's here...
 my brains kept falling out."    || http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos
Help fight spam! http://spam.abuse.net/  These opinions are all my own fault