Ethernet and Serial drivers for Linux target?

Hi,

I told management that it should be possible to write serial port and
Ethernet device drivers for the Linux eCos target, thus allowing
people to do eCos application development on Linux boxes.  Of course
the performance and timing won't be the same, but for basic application
functionality it should be good enough for many things.

Has anybody done this?  I assume that all you have to do is to map
cyg_io_read() and cyg_io_write() into read() and write() calls, and
map cyg_io_get_config() and cyg_io_set_config() into appropriate
ioctl() calls?

The serial driver should be able to use the standard /dev/ttySx
devices and the Ethernet driver can use the af_packet module to send
and receive Ethernet packets.  Is this going to be as straight-forward
as I think it is, or have I dug myself into a hole?

TIA

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com