Re: ECOS Re: Fitting it on the drive

    Kenneth> More an NT problem than an eCos problem: I'm having
    Kenneth> trouble building eCos because I keep running out of disk
    Kenneth> space.

    Kenneth> How do others handle this? Is there a way to overlay
    Kenneth> another (possibly compressing) filesystem on the FAT16
    Kenneth> partition to give me better use of the space?

    Bart> It may be possible to do the toolchain build in stages
    Bart> rather than all at once. You will need to do a single
    Bart> configure to produce a complete build tree. Then you should
    Bart> be able to run "make all install" in each subdirectory,
    Bart> using the order defined in the top-level makefile, followed
    Bart> by a "make clean" to free up the disk space again. It will
    Bart> be a rather tedious process, and occasionally you may have
    Bart> to fix up a couple of things by hand, but there is a good
    Bart> chance it will work.

I have since been informed that there is actually an alternative and
possibly more robust way of doing this sort of thing. The top-level
Makefile provides targets such as all-gcc and install-gcc.
Therefore you should be able to do something like the following at the
top-level of the toolchain build tree

   make all-libiberty install-libiberty clean-libiberty
   make all-texinfo install-texinfo clean-texinfo

This process is not going to be less tedious than what I suggested
earlier, but it may avoid a few problems here and there.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer