Re: Gnutools: consideration for upgrade to GCC 4.6

On 15.01.2012 19:42, Sergei Gavrikov wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2012, Grant Edwards wrote:

On 2012-01-14, Sergei Gavrikov<sergei.gavrikov@gmail.com> wrote:

By the way I like their built-in __rtems__ definition for own GCC builds
and I guess in the end we would propagate __ecos__ for own ones on the
occasion of renewal.
Why?
Simply to distinguish the official releases of toolchains (I hope well
tested) and any home-cooked toolchains. I meant such predefined things
for GCC (CPP)

   % i386-rtems4.11-gcc -dM -E -</dev/null | grep __rtems__
   #define __rtems__ 1

and the same we could have for officially supported releases for ecos,
e.g.

   % i386-ecos3.12-gcc -dM -E -</dev/null | grep __ecos__
   #define __ecos__ 1

Secondly, it lets anyone to use such checks in sources, e.g.

   #if __linux__
   # include<endian.h>
   #elif __ecos__
   # include<machine/endian.h>
   #else
   #endif

For now we usually add '-D__ECOS__' to CFLAGS for some packages.

The third, Why we should avoid to say that eCos is also well known,
widely used OS?

It seems there have been some attempts before as there are some traces left in gcc tree:
gcc/config/arm/ecos-elf.h

I'm not sure about former addition, But IMO that it would be good to add t-ecos target description(s). The material is present in eCos patches ftp://ecos.sourceware.org/pub/ecos/gnutools/src/ .

Speaking of branding, we shouldn't omit --version banner (|--with-pkgversion|), let's say "eCos community edition [<ver>]"

Are the eCos sources going to start requiring use of specific
toolchain binaries?
Nope. Anyone can use own binaries if he/she wants.

We must be sure of this. People will need, from various reasons, to use different toolchains (commercial or self built).

Ilija