Re: Just enough OS for eCos

Uwe Kindler wrote:
> Hello Sergei,

Hello Uwe,

> That is really a good idea. If I could put some things on the wish list
> that I would like to see in such an image ;O)

Just quick thoughts before I run away. It's time for gardering, I leaved
a message on twitter (`sgavrikov', it's me).

Why I tell about ubuntu-vm-builder. Using it, it's possible to stand up
core JeCos VM machine and then (the builder lets us do it) to run any
post install scripts (no login yet, no vmplayer yet!). So, all can be
maintained as a few bash scripts.  No bloat images. Because, I have not
place to maintain bloat MB images, thus, bitbucket (I use it) lets me to
use uploads until 150M.

> 1. Precompiled toolchains for all architectures (or special JeCos for
> each architecture?)

It can be discussed. I would start with minimal toolset for i386-elf
and even (I think) I would found a place for the first image under 50M.

> 2. The eCos Config GUI tool
> I know that a lot of people use the command line tools. But especially
> for eCos beginners that download the VM image for eCos evaluation the
> GUI tool is easier to understand, to use and it helps to understand the
> eCos configuration system. And I know that there are also experienced
> eCos users (like me) that prefer the GUI tool.

Well, Lets call it Just eCos GUI OS image. Hm, X-server... Well, it's
possible for me stand up differ kinds of JeCos using the scripts around
the builder.

> 3. A working docbook installation.
> I did not even try to build the eCos dosumentation on a Windows machine
> and always switched to a Unbuntu VM to do this job.

JeCos DocBook :-)

> 4. A GUI debugger
> I have to admit, I'm not a command line guru and I prefer GUI tools. I
> think if somone is familar with all the command line tools then he also
> has a running eCos linux environment. So it would be great to have a GUI
> debugger. I prefer Eclipse with Zylin CDT plugin.

JeCos Eclipse.

> 6. A working synthetic target to play with eCos without real hardware

This is exactly what I thought about (with DHCPD, tap interfaces, may be
eCos synthetic serial ports, I use that brilliant from Savin Zlobec).

> If you need some help testing stuff on a Windows XP machine I could help.

Thank you Uwe, I promise that first image I give you for a testing ;-)

Regards, Sergei