Re: NAND review

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 12:36:57PM +0100, Daniel Morris wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:07:47AM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > This should help avoid reinventing the wheel and hopefully make it
> > cornerles and symmetric. So long as you follow the Linux development
> > process, post often and early, and don't get flamed to a crisp it
> > could be good advertising for eCosCentric.
> >

> Did you miss the smiley off? ;-) I know that we've been too bashful and
> consistently self-deprecating to raise this issue, but is interesting
> that you've thought of what advertising benefit contributions make.

Well there are other advantages this route offers:

1) There is _one_true_way_ to get Linux booted from a NAND device
   using RedBoot. This means when some custom comes to you asking for
   a Redboot port, you don't need to look at the FreeScale extensions
   to RedBoot, the Samsung extensions to RedBoot, the MobLin
   extensions to RedBoot etc, you just do the _one_true_way_, which
   you have already done N times, wash, rinse and repeat...

2) It is eCosCentric code, you know it backwards/upside down and where
   the warts are, so allowing you to do a port to a new device quicker
   and cheaper than if it was somebody else code.

3) The Linux parts are in mainstream. This is always the recommended
   way to do it, compared to being out of tree. So that means less
   work for you every time there is a new kernel release.

   Andrew