Guidance porting AT91sam7

Hi, I am attempting a port of an ATMEL AT91SAM7A2 uP.

The sam7s and sam7x ports seems the closest to what I need (but still with quite a few differences).
With starting this port I would like some guidance in the format that the port must be according to ?your? standards with regards to directory structure and which layers to implement. The current structure is as follows with my recommendations next to them:

ARM arch layer  - great keep as is

AT91 var layer ? this layer contains a lot of platform specific info specifically for AT91SAM7 series (for instance in var_io.h ) ? why here, can?t it be moved to the platform specific source (plf_io.h)? Or shall I rather
say how must I approach this to get the anonymous sources changed? I think it will make things more structured and when I want to port the AT91SAM7A2 series I only need to do platform changes and not variant changes as well.

AT91SAM7S   - How do you want the directory structure and why call the directory at91sam7s (and not at91sam7) when the x series is implemented in it as well and the variant name it resides under is at91sam7
(CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_AT91SAM7). Now must the new port be made alongside the at91sam7s platform or completely independent from the existing port? How must this be done so that they will add the new port to the anonymous cvs format wise etc?

Can anyone give me some guidance on how to attempt this specific port?

Regards
Hendrik Meiring
MScEng student at the University of Stellenbosch
South Africa