Re: RE problem with gcc3.2 compiler

[ Keep this on the list - personal support is something eCosCentric charge for ]

Ottawa Guy wrote:
Hi Jifl Yes, when I use "--gc-section" with gcc2.95 my program
works. I am not sure what special thing happening with
""--gc-section" flag.

Do you have any idea why this  "-Wl,--gc-sections"
might have some effect.

I'm not familiar with the details of the sparc port, but I'd hazard a guess that in fact it's the compiler runtime inserting objects into the image. Generate a linker map for a version with or without gc-sections and compare the objects. Alternatively "simply" try debugging it, if necessary with diag_printf's or LED twiddling to see how far through the startup it gets (if any).

Regarding the gcc3.x load. When I jump to 0x40001300
my system halts.

Is that the right address? That was only given below as what the tools assumed. You should use the address of the symbol "reset_vector".

Jifl

--- Jonathan Larmour <jifl@eCosCentric.com> wrote:

Ottawa Guy wrote:

Thanks Jifl for your response. With the warning

when I

try to run my code, my system hangs. That mean
"--gc-sections" flag must be cleaning up something
else.

You mean it works when you use -Wl,--gc-sections?

Do you any chance have "sparc-elf" for gcc3.x

toolset

for a linux machine. I compiled the tool set on my
linux machine, I still have the same
problem(constructor ordering).

Sorry I don't. We've recommended Jiri's site for
those tools since this is his port.

I downloaded the "sparc-elf" binary file from
"www.gaisler.com" website. I get the following

error.

root@ssc045 examples]# sparc-rtems-gcc hello.c

-I./ -o

hello.out
-I/tmp/ecos/install/include

-L/tmp/ecos/install/lib

-nostdlib
-Wl,--gc-sections -Ttarget.ld

/opt/rtems/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-rtems/3.2.3/../../../../sparc-rtems/bin/ld:

warning: cannot find entry symbol start;

defaulting to

40001300

That may be benign, however it's meant to get the
start information from target.ld, e.g. in
hal/sparc/arch/current/src/sparc.ld:

ENTRY(reset_vector)

Jifl
--