Re: PTHREAD_INHERIT_SCHED

Jonathan Larmour <jifl@eCosCentric.com> writes:

> Yep, and that's what I've been telling people. But I'm just thinking
> of helping people avoid making the error! At the very worst I'll
> document it. It's a moderately obscure failure mode.

What I don't want to happen is for people to get used to the idea of
mixing eCos and POSIX stuff too much. I would much rather such things
failed gracefully that have to go to the effort of making it work, and
keeping it working regardless of what we might need to do in the future.

> Ah, but how do we reliably tell what the parent is. If we know for
> sure it's non-POSIX we can just DTRT anyway so that it doesn't try and
> inherit. Any method of detecting whether or not it's a POSIX thread
> seems to ultimately rely on a magic number happening to be valid. The
> only other route is exhaustive searches of thread lists, obviously a
> non-starter.

I would have thought that having a NULL pthread_info pointer was
sufficient indication that the thread was non-POSIX. What more do you
think is needed?