[docbook] Developing a proper subset of docbook in the post-DTD world

Hi,

I'm in the process of evaluating whether to go with a custom grammar or
to use a proper subset of docbook. I have looked at Chapter 5:
Customizing DocBook from the current version of TDG:
http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/ch05.html

Since this chapter looks like it hasn't been revised since 2002, and
the references to the DTD's are 3.x, are there other, more up to date
resources? I think there are a couple of ways to go:

A. use the entity-override approach from the link above on a 4.x DTD,
and then use schematron to convert to XSD
B. use version 5 "Lillet"  and then use schematron to convert to
XSD

TIA,

Chris

Chris Johnson