[docbook] Hello, newbie inbound

On Apr 18, Tomás Aguado Gómez (tomas.aguado@mi.madritel.es) wrote:
 > Hello everyone:
 >
 > I'm trying to create Slides with Docbook, I even bought the O'reilly book!
 >
 > I use Debian, and installed the package docbook-slides, but when I try
 > to create a PDF with :
 >
 > /sgmltools -bpdf slides.sgml/
 >

 > Of a SGML Like this One:
 >
 > */<?xml version='1.0'?>
 > <!DOCTYPE slides PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//DTD Slides XML V3.0b1//EN"
 >
 > "http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/slides/3.0b1/slides.dtd";>
 > <slides>
 > <slidesinfo>
 >   <title>Supporting Localized Generated Text</title>

 > I get those errors, I will only paste 10, but there are many more:
 >

 > /usr/bin/jade:/usr/share/xml/docbook/custom/slides/3.3.1/schema/dtd/slides.dtd:230:19:E:
 > "X00E1" is not a function name
 > /usr/bin/jade:/usr/share/xml/docbook/custom/slides/3.3.1/schema/dtd/slides.dtd:231:19:E:
 >
 > Is anyone able to help me? I want to convince teachers in my university
 > to use docbook, I didn't have such problems with docbook when creating
 > Book, and articles
 >
 > Thanks a lot for your help.

I think the issues you are having are Debian toolchain specific.  The
description for the Debian sgmltools-lite package which provides the command
sgmltools says that it does not handle XML, and the above is an xml document.
Jade and OpenJade can handle XML, it's this higher level wrapper that cannot.
There is another wrapper available, docbook-utils, that is supposed to be able
to handle XML - give it a try.  I think the problem is that Jade is using an
SGML declaration and you need to tell it to use the XML declaration -
docbook-utils does that.  If docbook-utils doesn't work, try using jade or
openjade directly.  For further help, try the debian mailing lists, e.g.,
debian-sgml@lists.debian.org.  I read that list, too, so if you try my
suggestions and follow up with additional questions there, I'll respond.

--
Neil Roeth