Re: [docbook] Re: Free Shared Glossart Database of Computing Terms

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 15:35 +0200, Sean Wheller wrote:

> Martin, you hit the nail on the head. I like it and no I did not know about
> it. I don't think many people do.
>
> There is however a "but," these are the TLDP's extensions to the GNU General
> Public License [1] and in particular I quote,
> "Note: All Linux Documentation Project manuals are copyrighted by their
> respective authors. THEY ARE NOT IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN."

> This said, the legal notice [2] of the document is not as prohibitive as it
> only mentioned the GFDL.
>
> For my liking it would be better to have released under Creative Commons
> (CC-BY-SA 2.0) or used a dual license mechanism without any specific
> extensions to either.
>
> Perhaps, others have some ideas, or perhaps I don't understand the
> relationship between [1] & [2], seems contradictory to me. When I thought of
> this my intention was to have a glossary.xml created by the people, used by
> the people under these two licenses.
>
> Thoughts anyone? Anyone from TLDP here can clarify the situation?
>
> [1] http://www.tldp.org/LDP-COPYRIGHT.html
> [2] http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Dictionary/html/ln35.html

If you can come up with alternative publishing ideas, ask them Sean.
They can only say no?

Unless you do want to start one... or perhaps get back to the original
authors and see if they have the source docbook?

As I  said, I've near 140K of docbook glossary I'd be willing
to add to a creative commons effort?

--
Regards,

Dave Pawson