[docbook] Re: SGML support

/ Frans Englich <frans.englich@telia.com> was heard to say:
|>From my perspective, I do not at all mind dropped SGML support, and welcome
| the new Docbook version. Also, it wouldn't hurt if it didn't take too long to
| arrive.

Well. Timing is everything, as they say.

At the TC call, I outlined my personal vision: an official 5.0 alpha
release sometime in Jan/Feb. Alphas through the spring, betas through
the summer, candidate releases in the fall, with a goal of perhaps
announcing 5.0 as a committee specification at XML 2005.

The only thing that can make it go faster is user participation.
(We've twice delayed the release of 4.4 because we can't prove anyone
is using it enough to have confidence that it's bug free.)

And I think user participation can make it go faster. If we get lots
of reports on the alphas, lots of constructive feedback, that'll make
it easier to produce betas, etc. and eventually easier to push an
official release.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | The wonder is, not that the field
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | of stars is so vast, but that man
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | has measured it.--Anatole France