From: "Justus H. Piater" <Justus.Piater@ULg.ac.be>
To: <docbook@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 29, 2004 9:43 AM
Subject: [docbook] References to external files relative to xml:base?

Question/proposal:

Similarly to XIncludes, shouldn't all references (by relative paths)
to external files (imagedata fileref etc.) be evaluated relative to
xml:base?

Currently, when I xi:include components from another directory, I have
to link any files referenced from those comonents to the current
directory. I think, for consistency with XInclude, this should not be
necessary.

If I understand things correctly, then this would involve collecting
xml:base attributes from the entire ancestry of the given node, and
concatenating them appropriately. Is there a canonical way to do this?
An XSLT template would be most welcome :-).

The question above is a DocBook question, while the implementation
concerns docbook-apps. Perhaps responses should be cross-posted?

Thanks,
Justus

--
Justus H. Piater, Ph.D.         http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~piater/
Institut Montefiore, B28        Phone: +32-4-366-2279