Re: [docbook] Which docbook element(s) do I need?

Erik Leunissen <e.leunissen@hccnet.nl> writes:

> I want to write a manual page as in:
>
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActiveTcl/ActiveTcl8.4.1.0-html/tcllib/pool.html

Is it specifically for Tcl?

You could look at what I've done for the Apache Rivet project:

http://tcl.apache.org/rivet/html/

and modify that.  It's all freely available under the terms of the
Apache license, which is quite liberal.

> I'm inquiring specifically about the specific paragraph-like
> elements in this page. Please search for "poolName info type ?arg?",
> which is one of these paragraph-like elements that show best what I
> need.

I use cmdsynopsis (together with ref*, thanks to Bob Stayton's help)
like so:

    <refentry>
      <refnamediv>
	<refname>var</refname>
	<refname>var_qs</refname>
	<refname>var_post</refname>
	<refpurpose>get the value of a form variable.</refpurpose>
      </refnamediv>

      <refsynopsisdiv>
	<cmdsynopsis>
	  <command>
	    var
	  </command>
	  <group choice="req">
	    <arg>get</arg>
	    <arg>list</arg>
	    <arg>exists</arg>
	    <arg>number</arg>
	    <arg>all</arg>
	  </group>
	</cmdsynopsis>

	<cmdsynopsis>
	  <command>
	    var_qs
	  </command>
	  <group choice="req">
	    <arg>get</arg>
	    <arg>list</arg>
	    <arg>exists</arg>
	    <arg>number</arg>
	    <arg>all</arg>
	  </group>
	</cmdsynopsis>

	<cmdsynopsis>
	  <command>
	    var_post
	  </command>
	  <group choice="req">
	    <arg>get</arg>
	    <arg>list</arg>
	    <arg>exists</arg>
	    <arg>number</arg>
	    <arg>all</arg>
	  </group>
	</cmdsynopsis>

      </refsynopsisdiv>

      <refsect1>
	<title>Description</title>
	<para>
	  The <command>var</command> command retrieves information
	  about GET or POST variables sent to the script via client
	  request.  It treats both GET and POST variables the same,
	  regardless of their origin.  Note that there are two
	  additional forms of <command>var</command>:
	  These two restrict the retrieval of information to
	  parameters arriving via the querystring
	  (?foo=bar&amp;bee=bop) or POSTing, respectively.
	</para>

> They are paragraphs that:
> - have a title, which describes a command invocation. It has
> command-like elements and parameter-like elements in turn.
> - have a body that is indented by an arbitrary amount. This body can
> have paragraphs in turn (regular ones and the ones I'm describing here)

> Does docbook have elements that can be used (tweaked) to produce
> these paragraphs as in the indicated manual page?

I think you want to start by looking at cmdsynopsis.

If you are only concerned with Tcl, you might have a look at TMML -
it's output is nice:

http://tmml.sourceforge.net/doc/tcl/index.html

I'm not sure how applicable it is to things that aren't Tcl though -
DocBook is very flexible.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/