Re: [docbook] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 Mar2003

At 15:41 2003 05 23 +0200, Yann Dirson wrote:
> . . .
> This advocates to me that, under the aegis of OASIS,
>we could continue to extend our own table model, which we possibly
>can't do so easily with an (X)HTML-derived table format without
>confusing users.
>
>Then you may ask why not both allowing (X)HTML and an evolving OASIS
>table model.

One of the key issues about table markup has always been
a tool issue.  The major reason DocBook chose CALS--and
one of the major reasons for now wanting to add HTML--is
that there are tools to help markup CALS and HTML tables.

Which yet another model--and especially with an evolving
model--you guarantee problems with tool support.

If you are willing to markup your tables "by hand" or with
home-grown tools--and write the necessary stylesheets to
handle such tables--then you are probably sophisticated enough
so that it doesn't matter what table model you use.  For that
matter, you probably don't need to use DocBook (or, perhaps
more accurately, you can extend DocBook as you like).

For those without such sophistication, the tool support issue
leads me to the conclusion that CALS and HTML tables is the
right answer.

paul