Re: [docbook] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 Mar2003

Tobias Reif wrote:

Jirka

<snip/>

Regarding another point you raised in a previous post:
AFAICS, the question "Users vs. Implementers" doesn't pose itself.

Of course, it's hard for a question to pose itself, so I'll pose it: what (semantic?) functionality or flexibility (if any) is being *lost* by dropping the CALS model in favour of the XHTML table model? Does any loss in this regard outway the, apparently arguable, learning curve improvements of adopting (X)HTML?

If I've missed the discussion on this, please let me know and point me to the decision re: functionality versus ease of use decision point, by the TC, say.

Making life easier for users is top priority.

Yes, it's human nature to want life to be easy; but it's better design to want life to be easy enough with respect to the job that needs doing.

Again, the words "many users want..." crops up, but the discussion on the list doesn't seem to warrant that typification.

...edN