Re: [docbook] strict versus transitional XHTML tables [was: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 Mar 2003]

At 21:11 2003 03 18 +0000, Dave Pawson wrote:
>At 14:38 18/03/2003 -0600, Paul Grosso wrote:
><snip/>
>>Personally, I'd have a hard time taking background color and fixed
>>height rows away from users.
>
>Heck, why not Paul. Docbook fully supports that separation?

How is the author supposed to indicate to the DocBook stylesheets
what color background they would like for a given cell?  Would
you feel that <td role="green-background"> is more in keeping
with the DocBook precedent?

>>  While I could live with omitting some
>>of the presentation attributes, that seems too confusing.  Since tables
>>by definition already have a fair number of presentation attributes even
>>in the "strict" version, I see no harm in using the transitional version
>>of the XHTML 1.0 table model [2].
>
>I'd support strict anytime.

What harm do you see in having a bgcolor attribute on
table cells in the version of the HTML table model that
DocBook might incorporate?

paul