Re: Building TOC and Indexes

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 02:16:46PM -0500, Ken Davis wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new to building my documents in XML and I have question on how to build the Table of Contents and Index's on multiple books? If that is all possible.
>
> What I am trying to do and it may not be the correct way is to keep every chapter in my software manual in separate XML files. Then from each of those XML files add it to a <set> within DocBook and build my TOC and index from the set.
>
> Example:
>
> TOC - One table of contents for all three books
> Book
> Book
> Book
> Index - One index for all three books
>
> Any comments to my puzzle will be much appreciated. Thanks Ken

Yes, you can do this.
You need to create a master set document that pulls in
other files.  You could do separate book files, each
of which pulls in its set of chapter files.
Then the set document can pull in the book files.
When you process the master set document, the table of contents
will automatically be generated for the set, and
for each book.

For a set index, you need to add an empty <setindex/>
element where you want the set index to appear in
your set.

I've written some doc on setting up and processing modular
DocBook files using XInclude:

http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/ModularDoc.html

                                            email: bobs at sco dot com