Re: any reason why a "procedure" is not a child of "para"?

I think this logic applies. Robert's saved me from typing it all in. :-)

Before HTML started bending my mind to believe that paragraphs
couldn't contain block content, I used to mix blocks inside paras
fairly often. Now I mostly don't, but I feel my gradeschool english
teacher's icy glare everytime I know the block is part of the same
thought as the preceding paragraph.

/ "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at mindspring dot com> was heard to say:
| On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, David Cramer wrote:
|
|> Nested procedures, procedures inside of tables, etc. would be messy--not
|> sure how you'd number them. <substeps> allows you to nest procedures
|> without that problem. I think no procedures in paras is a good thing.
|
| i don't follow this logic.  in a way, a procedure is just another
| kind of list, if you want to look at it that way.  and, certainly,
| all of the list-type elements can be children of paras.
|
| way back when i was just getting into docbook, i asked whether
| folks recommended making a list a child of a para, or the next
| sibling element.  the response was to consider whether the
| list and the para were inherently linked, so that it made no
| sense to have one without the other.
|
| consider a possible para:
|
|   <para>If you want to start writing in DocBook, here are the
|    steps you'll need to do:
|    <procedure>
|    </procedure>
|   </para>
|
| this makes perfect sense, and it's clear that the <procedure>
| element logically belongs within the paragraph.
|
| *note*: i'm not saying that procedures *must* be children of
| paragraphs, obviously.  only that, to be consistent with the
| other lists, it should have the option.
|
| rday

- --
Norman Walsh <ndw at nwalsh dot com>      | It is a general error to imagine
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | the loudest complainers for the
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | public to be the most anxious for