Re: Re: marking up keycaps according to their semantics

Norman Walsh wrote:

That is the question. At first I thought you were proposing only
Control, Shift, Meta, and Alt.

not enough IMHO

Though I suppose Command and Apple need
to be in there as well.

yep, since they are widely used

I've forgotten what the meta keys were on a
3270 and a VT100/220. Not to mention the Tectronix displays that I
heard of but never used.

Nothing can ever cover every function key that ever existed or could exist (just as DocBook doesn't cover every possible documentation markup). If you can't remember what the meta keys were on a 3270 and a VT100/220, then I don't see much reason to include them. But they could still be included; IMHO it's not a big problem if the enumerated list for the attribute is 20 instead of 10 values, or 30 instead of 20.

We need to really nail these down.

Yep; thanks for your help :)

What's missing from this list:

control, shift, meta, alt,

those are in the list already

command, apple, fn,
esc, f1..f24, printscreen, sysreq, pause, break, windows, menu,
backspace, home, pgup, pgdn, end, tab, backtab, capslock,

feel free to add those to the list on the RFE page

up, down, left, right,

those are already in there as well

ins, del

... and as I think I said, the list is just a first draft (I wrote "starting point"); it is not yet complete (where complete means all the stuff which is widely used).

And how does this proposal deal with double-shifted keys? What's the right
markup in this proposal for "Ctrl-Alt-Backspace" and "Alt-Shift-I"?

My requirement, as I said, is to be able to markup input comands as such, without relying on arbitrary ASCII renderings which are not standardized in the DocBook spec. The exact syntax is not relevant for me. But your question could probably be answered as:

<keycombo action="simul">
  <keycap function="control"/>
  <keycap function="alt"/>
  <keycap function="backspace"/>