Re: index autogeneration

On Monday, January 6, 2003, at 10:59 AM, Bob Stayton wrote:

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 02:21:41PM -0300, John Lenton wrote:
Hi all.

I'm trying to write a docbook that has an index, and I'd like that
index to be autogenerated. So far I've only been able to generate it
when rendering the 'book as HTML.

Any pointers?
XSL or DSSSL stylesheets?

If XSL, then I can tell you that the next release of
the XSL stylesheets will have much improved auto index
generation for both HTML and FO outputs.
Alternately, if you're doing DSSSL (or really even if you're not), I have a perl script (twig-based) that you might consider looking at that makes quick work of munging the in-text tags into an XML index (modifying the original XML document in the process). It's particularly nice when combined with a huge stylesheet hack to handle removing page number duplicates in TeX.... Yumm. Big scary TeX macro.

David

David A. Gatwood
Kernel Doc Geek
Apple