Re: Any suggestions for a GOOD XML reference?

Jeff,

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Jeff Biss wrote:
> I should have been a bit more clear on what I was really asking, which
> is where are these defined? For example, in C you would use functions
> defined in a library. When you read through the source code you would
> not find the actual code for println but would know that it is pulled
> from the library when you make and compile the code. Analogously, I
> would like to know where the things like *.module are defined and
> provided for the docbook.

These parameter entities are defined within the DocBook DTD itself. If you
look into the file dbpoolx.mod
[http://www.docbook.org/xml/4.1.2/dbpoolx.mod] which is part ("a module")
of the DocBook DTD [http://www.docbook.org/xml/4.1.2/index.html] you'll
see the definition of tech.char.class beneith others. Using your analogy,
the DocBook DTD is your library when doing own DTD customizations. See
also Chap.5 of the TDG as Michael has already pointed out. Don't despair
if you didn't get it at once. <redo from="start"/> ;-)
[http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/ch05.html#s-dbstruct, "Deciding how to
Change a Customization Layer"]

> Also, the way the Definitive Guide is written might be clear to someone
> who is already familiar with the subject matter, but not for me.

Yep, I can understand that. DTD modularization doesn't get clear in any
case using TDG alone. The basics are defined in the XML recommendation by
W3C, but that's also not exhaustive on its own. Though not knowing the
book by Maler et al. Michael pointed out, I suspect this to be a good
source of information.

> As an
> electrical engineer I can pick up a data book and design a circuit with
> the information provided. But without the electrical engineering
> background provided by school, someone else would not be able to
> understand the same information. I need more background to fully
> understand what's going on.

It took me quite long to get an understanding of all those modular DTD
stuff having no SGML background and having been new to XML back then. What
helped me, was digging into DocBook and learning by practical experience.
Yeah, I know this isn't always pure fun but nothing easier comes to my
mind.

HTH,
Steffen.

--