Re: docbook vs latex

From: Doug du Boulay <ddb@R3401.rlem.titech.ac.jp>
To: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: docbook vs latex
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 19:03:22 +0900

the <mml:math> tag cleanly separates the actual mathematics from
the surrounding paragraph information. Contrast that with the
relegation of maththeorem to a perverted  mml: module like this

<mml:math>
<mml:maththeorem>
<mml:title>
<mml:para>
<mml:inlineequation>
      <mml:apply><mml:divide/></mml:apply>
</mml:inlineequation>
</mml:para>
</mml:title>
</mml:maththeorem>
</mml:math>
Well, I honestly don't know if MathML provides the document-level blocks that would be needed (you might need a separate module, for that). However it certainly shouldn't be polluted with things like title, para, inlineequation, etc. The standard DocBook versions of those elements should be used.

Furthermore, what's needed is a schema language (sorry, I don't know anything about the W3C XML Schema Language) in which a module can allow specific *classes* of the standard DocBook elements within the content models of the elements it provides. While cases like 'title' and 'para' would best be addressed explicitly, a module should be able to implicitly add its own elements to the content models of elements provided by other modules (by appending them to some sort of class). Similarly, it should be able to selectively contribute its elements for use in both specific docbook elements and classes of elements, but also in unknown elements provided by other modules.

(from a subsequent message):

I guess Matt's last email and this message from the archives pretty well hits the nail on the head:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200202/msg00087.html
Sugoi desu - thanks for digging that up!  Domo arigatou gozaimasu.

Matt Gruenke