using DocBook with Quark's avenue.quark

I have been trying to use the docbook.dtd (or the simplified version) with
QuarkXPress' avenue.quark XML utility. When I try to import the dtd, it
defaults to "title" as the root element; the resulting element map does not
include any "book" or other apparent text elements.

When I select "book" as the root element, it fails to load--giving a message
that the maximum number of elements has been exceeded. Using "chapter" as
the root results in an error message "Reference to nonexistent ID."

I have also tried the Simplified DocBook dtd, using "article" as the root
element. It loads, but when I try to map Quark styles to tags, I cannot
locate any tags for the main body of text. There are tags (although they are
grayed out and inaccessible) for appendix, bibliography, etc., but no body
text.

Has anyone managed to get these DTDs to work with Quark, and would you be
willing to give me some advice and assistance?

Thanks,
Dwight Agner