|       <informalequation>
|         <mml:math>
|           1 +
|           <mml:infinity/>
|           <mml:pi/>
|         </mml:math>
|       </informalequation>
|     </equation>

This isn't valid MathML 1.0. I suppose I need to make a V2.0 module...

| 1)  xml -> html
|
| alpha ~/mathml $ saxon book.xml book-html.xsl
| No template matches mml:math.
| No template matches mml:infinity.
| No template matches mml:pi.

"Fixed" by just passing the mml through unchanged.

| alpha ~/mathml $ fop.sh book.fo book.pdf
| [INFO]: FOP 0.20.3
| [INFO]: building formatting object tree
| [ERROR]: Unknown formatting object http://www.tug.org/fotex^bookmark
| org.w3c.dom.DOMException: DOM003 Namespace error
|         at org.apache.xerces.dom.AttrNSImpl.<init>(AttrNSImpl.java:126)
|         at

I can't explain FOP's error.

| [ERROR]: no handler defined for http://www.tug.org/fotex:bookmark foreign xml

You should probably turn off passivetex.extensions if you're going to use FOP.
And you probably want to turn on fop.extensions.

| [ERROR]: Unknown formatting object http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML^infinity
| [ERROR]: Unknown formatting object http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML^pi
| [INFO]: [1]
| [ERROR]: no handler defined for http://www.tug.org/fotex:bookmark foreign xml
| [ERROR]: no handler defined for http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML:math
| foreign xml
| [INFO]: Parsing of document complete, stopping renderer
|
| why all of these?

Looks like FOP doesn't support MathML.

| 3) try to process with passivetex with mathml2.xmt in current dir I got this
| in .log file
|
| <5:block  >
|       xmlns:mml = 3
|       <3:math (./mathml2.xmt
|       xmlns:m = 3)
|           0:overflow = "scroll"  >
|        <3:infinity Undefined
|            0:encoding = ""
|            0:definitionURL = ""  >
|        </3:infinity>
|        <3:pi Undefined
|            0:encoding = ""
|            0:definitionURL = ""  >
|        </3:pi>
|       </3:math>
|      </5:block>

mml:infinity and mml:pi aren't in MathML 1.0.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | For the mental patient's family
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | and society, mental illness is a
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | 'problem'; for the patient himself