Re: class extends superclass

At 6:34 AM -0500 3/22/02, Norman Walsh wrote:

>No, that won't work because all the modifiers have to come first. What you
>want is:
>
>    <classsynopsis language="Java">
>      <ooclass>
>        <modifier>public</modifier>
>        <modifier>abstract</modifier>
>        <classname>SAXParserFactory</classname>
>      </ooclass>
>      <ooclass>
>        <classname>Object</classname>
>      </ooclass>
>    </classsynopsis>
>
>Not exactly intuitive, but it avoids having markup names like
>"extends" that are specific to a given programming language.

OK. That will work, and I can see how to extend it for interfaces
too. Thanks! I still wonder if this shouldn't be an element of its
own though. The notion of superclasses is pretty fundamental to
object oriented languages. It could be written in a non language
specific way like this:

   <classsynopsis language="Java">
      <ooclass>
        <modifier>public</modifier>
        <modifier>abstract</modifier>
        <classname>SAXParserFactory</classname>
        <superclass>Object</superclass>
      </ooclass>
    </classsynopsis>

The stylesheets could figure out whether to make that "extends
Object" or "::Object" or something else.

Interfaces are trickier, mostly because they're really Java-specific,
but I would like to have something like:

   <classsynopsis language="Java">
      <ooclass>
        <modifier>public</modifier>
        <modifier>abstract</modifier>
        <classname>SAXParserFactory</classname>
        <superclass>Object</superclass>
        <interface>Serializable</interface>
      </ooclass>
    </classsynopsis>

And why'll we're at it, it's mildly annoying that the paragraphs of
my manuscript are littered with  <classname>String</classname>,
<interfacename>ContentHandler</interfacename>, and
<exceptionname>SAXException</exceptionname> but
<literal>org.xml.sax</literal>. It's not a major problem, just a
minor annoyance and inconsistency.

Right now I'm working on a Doclet that produces DocBook markup so a
packagename element and possibly a whole packagesynopsis element
would be convenient. But that's really Java-specific, so if you think
it's out of scope, I wouldn't scream too loudly. Should I file RFEs
on this stuff, or is this just getting too deep in the Java mire?

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |