XSL and IE

I recently started learning about XML and XSL, and decided to look at
docbook.  I'm a bit confused because it seems that docbook xml documents do
not specify an xsl stylesheet to translate them for viewing, but instead
rely on an external translation utility that has to be run and given the
xml and xsl files to translate to html files.  I tried adding the
stylesheet attribute to an xml docbook file pointing to the docbook xsl
file, and then tried to view it with IE6, and it seems that the XSL checks
for some certain functionality and then prints an error message and aborts,
saying it can not work with microsoft as the translator.

It is my understanding that IE 5 only supports XSLT which is the older
working draft of XSL, but IE6 now supports full XSL.  Is there some reason
why docbook documents can not be directly viewed with IE6?