Re: Re: Forcing a Line Feed

[Martin Gautier, 2002-03-07:]
> There are a number of reasons this might happen, not necessarily with
> the <para> element (<programlisting> containing lines longer than the
> width of my publishing media for example). In my example, if the
> in the cell to present the paragraph as expected - It would be
> convenient to force a line break at a suitable (for presentation
> purposes) location decided by me rather than my stylesheet.

Yeah, sounds reasonable to me.  Although I consider myself as something
quite close to a keep-presentation-out-of-markup purist, I think <sbr>
should be available in <programlisting> and all the stuff like
<functionsynopsis> that usually ends up in <pre> environments in HTML
(while, on the other hand, I'm still unsure about your <para> example).
Best with some "avoid if possible" clause in TDG, though, because a
stylesheet solution that states the _reason_ for the line break as a
template rule is always better.  But in some cases (f.expl. if you have
_one_ such thing in a paper that must be ready yesterday) this is just
overkill.  - Should I write an RFE for that?

> When I posed the question I expected a reply describing something I
> missed along the lines of using an <sbr> or <beginpage> - both
> elements designed for presentation rather than data description. I
> guess there isn't such a thing :o(

<beginpage> is not _for_ but _from_ presentation, i.e. it is used to
keep information on pagebreaks in initial prints or so (see
http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/beginpage.html).

> Perhaps I need to study my stylesheets and possibly modify them to
> build a solution for me - something I was hoping to avoid.
>
> Thanks for giving this some attention...
>
> Mart

Anders