DocBook SGML vs DocBook XML --- WTH !?!?!

I have been trying to get the DocBook tools working
on my machine with much pain and NO sucess.

I am using Mandrake 8.1, KDE 2.2.1.

The various bits of documentation related to installing, setting
up, and using the DocBook tools say that DocBook XML has
replaced the DocBook SGML tools, but still talks about downloading
and installing the SGML versions or talks of a mix of the two.

I have tried to follow the instructions, but it seems like my distribution
is totally out of sync of their notes.

Can some PLEASE SIMPLY tell me with DETAILS, what exactly I need to
download and install to get DocBook XML in Mandrake 8.1 with KDE 2.2.1?
Specifically, I would like to be able to create DocBook type files that are
consistent with KDE documentation standards to produce HTML output
files.

Also, if there are any ACCURATE and CURRENT web resources for
DocBook XML, please list the URLs.

Thanks for any clue you wish to share with me.

Ben Schepens
schepens@mindspring.com