Re: Transforming SGML

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 10:04:43PM +0100, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> You must modify DTD to allow inlineequations without graphic element.
> This is probably not good idea for your particular case. You probably
> want to save typing when including math formulas in a DocBook source --
> for this case you can create some macro for your editor. This macro can
> insert graphic element with some autogenerated number for you.
>=20
> FYI. Several weeks ago we agreed on the following markup for TeX
> equations with other folks on this list (this is currently supported in
> XSL stylesheets):
>=20
> <para>Preferred way for including TeX alternative of math is inside of
>=20
> <programlisting><![CDATA[<inlineequation>
> <inlinemediaobject>
> <imageobject>
> <imagedata fileref=3D"eq1.gif"/>
> </imageobject>
> </inlinemediaobject>
> </inlineequation>]]></programlisting>
>=20
>=20
> <programlisting><![CDATA[<inlineequation>
> <alt role=3D"tex">a^2+b^2=3Dc^2</alt>
> <graphic fileref=3D"a2b2c2.gif"/> =20
> </inlineequation>]]></programlisting>

Interesting.  It doesn't make it clear that it's an equation though,
which is a bad thing in my case.

Also why the instance on the graphic element for an inlineequation.
I doesn't make sense to me.  For print versions it isn't required,
and for HTML it's easy enough to create a filename on the fly, in
the same way as we create html filenames on the fly.  The author
wants to worry about the content of the equation, not whether it's
been used before somewhere else in the document and worry about
clashing filenames. IMO.

An equation would be much more useful as:

<inlineequation type=3D"tex"> some equation </inlineequation>

or=20

<inlineequation type=3D"mathml"> some equation </inlineequation>

Joe

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT--