Re: Linking: removing linkend

/ Bob Stayton <bobs@caldera.com> was heard to say:
| Well, I disagree.
| Doesn't removing linkend in DocBook 5 break the protocol
| established for backwards incompatible changes (warn
| in one major release, remove in next)?  You'll have alot
| of unhappy users if you remove linkend in V5.

You're right, which effectively closes the issue. I thought that we
had an FU comment in 4.0 that there would be changes associated with
links for XLink support, but I'm mistaken.

| Besides, why can't they exist together?  I don't understand
| the idea of "winning" here.  A linkend (an IDREF)

<link id="foo" linkend="foo"
      xlink:type="simple"
      xlink:href="http://nwalsh.com/";>Is this link
self-referential?</link>

<link id="foo" linkend="foo"
      xlink:type="simple"
      xlink:href="#bar">Is this one?</link>

<ulink url="http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/";
      xlink:type="simple"
      xlink:href="#bar">What does this mean?</link>

My "winning" comment applied to the case when both were specified and they
pointed to different things. (Well, it applied to when they pointed to the same
things too, but that's not a very interesting case :-)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Success is relative; it is what we
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | make of the mess we have made of
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | things.--T. S. Eliot